Dear Parents and Carers,
Safer School Initiative
The Safer School initiative is a school security initiative that encompasses personal safety. It was created by West Mercia Police and with the support of Shropshire Council, virtually all Shropshire schools are following the process. This is a fantastic opportunity for our school.
The initiative is a practical and realistic risk management approach to the security and safety of school staff, pupils, property and the premises. Following the satisfactory completion of the process, schools receive the Safer School accreditation and this accreditation is reviewed every two years. No two schools are the same and therefore, it is site specific to individual schools. The process involves a Safer School Group following a comprehensive package. Safer School Groups meet on a regular basis to follow and implement the Safer School process and parents and carers are informed of the Group’s progress through newsletters.
The essential elements of the package are as follows: –
- Implement basic security measures applicable at all schools i.e. property marking and visitor passes etc.
- Consider pro-active security and safety measures for the site/building and/or protecting assets.
- Establish a procedure for recording incidents i.e. anti-social behaviour, vandalism etc. Any recorded information can then be analysed. In addition, the same recording procedure can be used for surveying a problem i.e. an unauthorised thoroughfare.
- If there are any projects to be undertaken following the Group’s work, they are prioritised. Following the implementation of a project, the success of it is reviewed.
- PSHE or education of pupils as per the Safer School pack.
As part of the process, the school would appreciate your views. Please could you forward any views/concerns, including any positive observations, by Friday, 14th May 2021 so they may be considered at a Safer School Group meeting. This can be done through the form accessible through the following link:
If you would prefer a paper copy to complete and return to school, please do let me know. The focus is the school grounds and site. If any parents or carers are interested to view the Safer School package, they are welcome to contact myself at school.
Safer School Lead